Acne, contrary to common belief, is not a problem only in the teenage years. There are forms of acne that may be seen in very young children, and acne may affect even older adults. We help our patients find relief from existing acne, and prevent scarring and future breakouts through guidance in the area of skin care.
The least favorable option when faced with acne is to leave it untreated. Acne can leave lasting physical and emotional scars. Regardless of age, the presence of acne can have an enormous impact on how you feel about yourself. Your dermatologist at Dermatology Associates of Northern Virginia, Inc. understands the emotional toll acne has. We provide the education and treatment that will effectively end patients’ acne problems.
The most common first step taken when acne appears is to apply some type of over-the-counter remedy. This solution is even promoted by some medical professionals. We find that commercial acne treatments are designed for the masses, but each of our patients’ skin is unique and deserves better care than something not designed specifically for them. Over-the-counter acne products contain very low amounts of active ingredients, and they can produce further irritation to already-sensitive skin.
Treatment from your dermatologist is tailored to your skin. We may prescribe a topical cream or ointment that is based on your skin type, ensuring that we do not further dry out skin. In some cases, oral antibiotics may be necessary to clear existing acne quickly so that scarring is minimized. In severe cases of acne, Accutane may be an option. In addition to offering conventional, proven treatments, our offices are equipped with innovative therapies such as fractional lasers, pulsed dye laser technology, and blue light therapy
Acne is not a one-time problem. Our patients receive follow-up care that includes regular skin checks as needed. They also meet with our estheticians and cosmetic coordinators, who will help devise a skin care regimen that complements our treatment plan. Once acne has cleared, skin care needs may change. With specific follow up, the instances of recurrence can be significantly decreased.
Acne does not have to be a problem you live with. Contact us today for your consultation.
Dermatology AssociatesRating: 5 (Source: www.vitals.com) Looking at all the revies on the web can be discouraging if this is your first time to this office. I am satisifed and what took several derms to figure out what I had--took Dr. Mattay 5 seconds to figure out.
Last Updated - May 2017
- Centreville, VA dermatologist provides top-notch acne scar treatment
- Top dermatologist in Centreville, VA treats even the most severe acne
- Dermatologists provide effective treatment with acne medications and therapies
- Acne treatments in Centreville are not one size fits all
- Dermatological team in the Ashburn area explains adult acne treatment
- Acne may respond well to light treatments performed in our office near Ashburn
- South Riding area dermatology practice assists patients in understanding effective treatment methods for acne
- Important information about acne for Centreville area patients
- Centreville, VA area dermatologist describes effective acne treatment options