Dermatological team in the Ashburn area explains adult acne treatment
The best way to keep your skin beautiful is preventive care. A proper skin care regimen can prevent acne. Patients in Ashburn and the surrounding areas can turn to a team of skilled dermatologists at Dermatology Associates of Northern Virginia, Inc. for excellent advice as well as treatment for acne and other skin conditions. Our team provides gentle and effective care in our Sterling and Centreville offices.
Learning about how acne develops
Acne leads as the most common skin condition. It usually develops during puberty, but many adults also live with acne. The pores become clogged when dead skin cells mix with oil in the skin. This mixture leaks into nearby tissues and can lead to redness, swelling, and pus. Patients may experience anything from a few red spots to large, red lumps. Anybody is susceptible to developing acne, from a newborn to an adult. The skin condition often will develop on the face, chest, shoulders, and back.
Properly caring for your skin
To prevent acne flare-ups and reduce its damage to the skin, we recommend the following:
- Choose a cleanser formulated for acne, which contains salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide. These products can clear acne.
- When washing your face, use your hands. Terrycloth or other scrubbing material may cause the acne to rupture.
- If you wear makeup, choose an oil-free foundation. Heavy makeup can block pores and cause acne to flare up.
- Avoid picking at acne because it can cause irritation.
- Schedule an appointment with us so we can determine the severity of the acne.
Providing treatments for acne
We provide many treatments for acne including topical products containing benzoyl peroxide or retinoids as well as oral medication. Most patients require one, or more, of the products to clear up acne, depending on the severity of their condition. We also provide laser therapy among several other innovative treatments. By utilizing a laser, we can reduce the amount of bacteria in the skin to help clear acne. Patients can enjoy rejuvenated skin after treatment.
Do you want to learn more about how we treat acne? We will be happy to meet with you during a consultation appointment. Schedule yours by calling our Sterling or Centreville office at (866) 808-3320 or (866) 808-3140 today.
Back to Acne Home Page