Understanding what causes acne helps many find clearer skin
If you are experiencing acne, Dermatology Associates of Northern Virginia, Inc. can help you find relief. We help our patients understand what causes acne, how to help clear it, and how to prevent scars. We know how untreated acne can lower self-esteem. We want all our patients to feel great about their skin.
Who experiences acne:
- Infants: Mothers can pass hormones to a newborn during the birth process.
- Teenagers: Acne can start for some as early as ten years old, when puberty hormones begin.
- Young adults: Acne can last through the teens and twenties.
- Adults: 20 percent of all adults have moderate to severe acne. In addition, many women will get acne into their 30s and 40s.
What causes acne:
- Puberty hormones. During this time, hormone levels rise, which cause skin glands to start making more sebum (oil). When the oils mix with dead skin cells it can clog pores. Bacteria can grow, causing swelling, redness, and pus.
- Certain medications: Corticosteroids can cause acne.
- Endocrine system conditions: Polycystic ovary syndrome and Cushing’s syndrome can cause acne outbreaks.
- Changing hormones at any age.
What doesn’t cause acne:
- Poor diet: If you have acne, avoiding chocolate will not help.
- Poor hygiene
Dermatology Associates of Northern Virginia, Inc. can help. We believe that over the counter treatments are not the way to beautiful, blemish free skin. Your skin is unique to you. We can create a skin care plan customized to your skin. Topical creams and ointments might be effective, and we can ensure that it matches your skin type, so the problem does not get worse. If necessary, we prescribe oral antibiotics to help prevent scarring. We also use laser treatments and blue light therapy. Call us today so we can help you discover the beautiful skin we know you can have.